Announcement

Collapse

Message board is no longer active

This is an archive of the Be-Mag message board. The message board is no longer active. Read more.
See more
See less

I was thinking

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I was thinking

    And it is never a good thing. But I watched some Barely Dead a few days ago and started going through things that maybe could have happened differently. Before I get into this, it is just a discussion. I want to hear everyone's views on what I'm talking about. Rollerblading was being aired on television. It had ben cut back a little bit but was still on there pretty regularly. When the first IMYTA happened it blew everyone's minds. Attention pretty much instantly shifted from the X-Games and ASA to IMYTA. Some pro's were still competing in ASA competitions, but a lot of them had just started going to IMYTA. It was like rollerblading went all in on this street comp. series. If IMYTA had been picked up for television i think rollerblading would have exploded again, but it didn't. I was thinking that maybe some of the corporate guys over the televised events could have noticed that even rollerblader support had dropped for their events. The televised events had corporate sponsors with deep pockets, and IMYTA had rollerblading company sponsors and prize money from entrance fee's. Now I am in no way saying that the greatest street competition series in our history killed us, but does anyone think that if ALL of the attention hadn't went to IMYTA, and a good amount stayed with ASA and X-Games that we would be in a different position? I very clearly remember hearing many many rollerbladers that I had both met, or knew personally talking about how park competitions were done, or they were gay and the street comps, for lack of a better phrase, were the future. Anyways. Discuss?

    #2
    block of text summarize your requests kthnx

    Comment


      #3
      haha. I really couldn't summarize it without it sounding like the IMYTA killed rollerblading, and that's not what it means at all.

      Comment


        #4
        <3 immytah

        Comment


          #5
          Yea I did too.

          Comment


            #6
            <3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33

            Comment


              #7
              Re: I was thinking

              Originally posted by monKYbone
              And it is never a good thing. But I watched some Barely Dead a few days ago and started going through things that maybe could have happened differently. Before I get into this, it is just a discussion. I want to hear everyone's views on what I'm talking about. Rollerblading was being aired on television. It had ben cut back a little bit but was still on there pretty regularly. When the first IMYTA happened it blew everyone's minds. Attention pretty much instantly shifted from the X-Games and ASA to IMYTA. Some pro's were still competing in ASA competitions, but a lot of them had just started going to IMYTA. It was like rollerblading went all in on this street comp. series. If IMYTA had been picked up for television i think rollerblading would have exploded again, but it didn't. I was thinking that maybe some of the corporate guys over the televised events could have noticed that even rollerblader support had dropped for their events. The televised events had corporate sponsors with deep pockets, and IMYTA had rollerblading company sponsors and prize money from entrance fee's. Now I am in no way saying that the greatest street competition series in our history killed us, but does anyone think that if ALL of the attention hadn't went to IMYTA, and a good amount stayed with ASA and X-Games that we would be in a different position? I very clearly remember hearing many many rollerbladers that I had both met, or knew personally talking about how park competitions were done, or they were gay and the street comps, for lack of a better phrase, were the future. Anyways. Discuss?
              you're right. to this day I hate even watching park footy on edits.
              []D[][]V[][]D
              http://www.youtube.com/flyingonblades

              Comment


                #8
                Didn't IMYTA have something to do with the X-Games street runs or prize money being cut? The guys that started the IMYTA were the most professional and organized promoters of skating, and probably had pitched their ideas to the ASA and ESPN long before they went outside. The TV execs knew what they wanted to air & what would get good ratings, so I think the IMYTA was an effect rather than a cause.

                Here's a good video to get a feel of the atmosphere between big park contest skating and real street at the time; http://www.vimeo.com/1898023

                Comment


                  #9
                  I don't get it, what does that video show?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jakeordie
                    Didn't IMYTA have something to do with the X-Games street runs or prize money being cut? The guys that started the IMYTA were the most professional and organized promoters of skating, and probably had pitched their ideas to the ASA and ESPN long before they went outside. The TV execs knew what they wanted to air & what would get good ratings, so I think the IMYTA was an effect rather than a cause.

                    Here's a good video to get a feel of the atmosphere between big park contest skating and real street at the time; http://www.vimeo.com/1898023
                    That's actually what I was trying to say, I just didn't know how. I was reading the Lomax post and where you and Joey are talking about the time when park skaters vanished and it wasn't "cool" to be park skaters anymore......that's where I think the IMYTA came in. It was the coolest, most bad ass thing out at the time. Street was it. If you wanted to be like the guys on TV then you were fucking stupid because you should be surrounded by a thousand rollerbladers wallriding the whole side of a building or you weren't shit.

                    By the way, the IMYTA was one of my favorite things ever, but I completely agree with what you say about how they should have been separated. I truly believe that this was the time when those lines got blurred and crossed.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Also, I'll be honest here. It was things like ASA on ESPN and brink that really got me into skating. I eventually found street skating. But the whole time it was sooooo easy for me to get new people into skating and they would stick with it. I live in a town of 2500 people and ONE friend and I over the course of a couple years had about 25 people skating here. Rollderblading was on TV and it was easy for new people to see it without having to spend money on videos and I hooked them up with borrow skates until they were hooked. It seems like when IMYTA blew up (I don't know about the behind the scenes stuff. I was talking about effect, I just didn't know how to put it) everyone only cared about street contests and skating. So of course that clean cut attractive side of rollerblading wasn't even being looked at. And if you did have interest in your were a fag for not street skating.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        They were going to cut rollerblading from teh Xgames regardless, they had their minds made up.

                        I mean shit their on the verge of getting rid of skateboard vert because it aint extreme enough and people are bored.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I miss park skating and actual runs. Fuck this best trick format, it's led to nothing but sloppy contest chuckers and one trick ponies.

                          Spin to win baby.

                          Where did consistancy go?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by monKYbone
                            Also, I'll be honest here. It was things like ASA on ESPN and brink that really got me into skating. I eventually found street skating. But the whole time it was sooooo easy for me to get new people into skating and they would stick with it. I live in a town of 2500 people and ONE friend and I over the course of a couple years had about 25 people skating here. Rollderblading was on TV and it was easy for new people to see it without having to spend money on videos and I hooked them up with borrow skates until they were hooked. It seems like when IMYTA blew up (I don't know about the behind the scenes stuff. I was talking about effect, I just didn't know how to put it) everyone only cared about street contests and skating. So of course that clean cut attractive side of rollerblading wasn't even being looked at. And if you did have interest in your were a fag for not street skating.
                            I've heard that a lot from skaters in America.....they started skating after seeing Aaron Feinberg do a backflip on TV & win an ASA. So they bought Salomons and tried to learn to do spins & flips. But there's no skatepark in their town, and one day they met the local crew who schooled them in real street. They bought some Fifty-50 frames and anti wheels, and some videos. Now Josh Petty's their new hero and Feinberg is a park-rat sellout.....and that's cool once they're in the community. But Josh and Fifty-50 didn't get 'em into skating on their own, and without the ASA and Salomon etc. they wouldn't get any new money.

                            The IMYTA was a response to the X-Games cutting back on rollerblading in some ways. I think ESPN cutting back was also a response, I guess because rollerblading didn't have its shit together like the other sports. I don't think being out of the X-Games is a huge problem, we could have televised events without 'em. But we still need something that people outside of our community want to watch.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Am I the only person who started street skating first, with no knowledge of park skating? I used to roll around on hockey skates and then I saw my friend bust a huge air out of the gutter and I was like, DAMN! I took the middle wheels out of my hockey skates and we went and frontsided the bottom of some bikeracks. From that point, it was on. I went to the skateshop and bought some aggressive skates for my birthday and started tearing up the streets of my hometown. I never really started going to parks until I had already been skating for like a year and I still skated park like street. I didn't learn how to do good 540's and spins over boxes until after I could already hardspin topsoul little rails and that was probably 7-8 years ago. Street is where it's at.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by jakeordie
                                I've heard that a lot from skaters in America.....they started skating after seeing Aaron Feinberg do a backflip on TV & win an ASA. So they bought Salomons and tried to learn to do spins & flips. But there's no skatepark in their town, and one day they met the local crew who schooled them in real street. They bought some Fifty-50 frames and anti wheels, and some videos.
                                This is exactly how it happened with me but Josh Petty was never my hero. I thought he was awesome but my favorite skater was Jake Elliott for a while. After Jake kind of fell off Aaron Feinberg was. But the point is that I am perfect proof of what you're saying about keeping the two separated. I've also seen that work even better with letting people see you and hooking them up type recruitment.



                                And Charlie Hustles. I agree. But I'm not gonna lie. I don't know what would have happened if I had saw street skating first. I'd love to think that I would still be skating no matter what, but I really don't know.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X