Announcement

Collapse

Message board is no longer active

This is an archive of the Be-Mag message board. The message board is no longer active. Read more.
See more
See less

Portfolio Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Portfolio Questions

    I'm wondering just how many pictures needs to be in an online portfolio. Right now I've got about 50 shots from the past year or so that I would deem worthy enough to put in a portfolio. Seems a lil high though, I'll probably be doing a wix so I was thinking just load the front with the best pics and put the others in the back. If anyone has any better suggestions than wiix or whatever let me know. Also do the photo's need to be job specific? I've got tons of shows and concerts pics a little skating and the rest is like miscellaneous shit. Two of the jobs im looking at are for a show/ent newspaper weekly so I've got that covered the other is for a roller derby team.

    Thanks for your help.

    ecruzdp.deviantart.com that's my deviant art, I'll be using some of these pics but adding way more concert stuff.
    Last edited by drunkenmonkey; 10.10.2011, 21:38.

    #2


    You gotta wipe that shit off yo' sensor





    You have some nice photos in your DA account.

    What gear are you using? I see the exif data for your photos and it seems that you are using a a T2i with a kit lens. Are you expecting to use that for paying concert or roller derby photo work?
    Last edited by fast eddie; 12.10.2011, 14:11.

    Comment


      #3
      everyone knows the only thing that matters is a bigger megapixel count

      Originally posted by BMV
      I might listen to Satan's music, but I love baby animals.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Matthew Shannon View Post
        everyone knows the only thing that matters is a bigger megapixel count
        That means nothing, and you know it. What I was alluding to was using a kit lens for photographing low light indoor events/action sports is not the best idea for gigs that pay anything decent, especially if it will be in print.

        Comment


          #5
          remind me to never use this forum for actual questions...apparently people just point out other things you are doing wrong. I somehow doubt that is helping you with your original question.

          http://vimeo.com/user658948

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Teh Nap View Post
            remind me to never use this forum for actual questions...apparently people just point out other things you are doing wrong. I somehow doubt that is helping you with your original question.
            Who the fuck said he was doing something wrong? Shut your mouth and try not to get fatter, Porky Pig.


            Originally posted by drunkenmonkey View Post
            I'm wondering just how many pictures needs to be in an online portfolio. Right now I've got about 50 shots from the past year or so that I would deem worthy enough to put in a portfolio. Seems a lil high though, I'll probably be doing a wix so I was thinking just load the front with the best pics and put the others in the back. If anyone has any better suggestions than wiix or whatever let me know. Also do the photo's need to be job specific? I've got tons of shows and concerts pics a little skating and the rest is like miscellaneous shit. Two of the jobs im looking at are for a show/ent newspaper weekly so I've got that covered the other is for a roller derby team.

            Thanks for your help.

            ecruzdp.deviantart.com that's my deviant art, I'll be using some of these pics but adding way more concert stuff.

            If you are going to have an online portfolio, you want to show your very best work, no matter what. Avoid the temptation to put up everything you have. Show them the best at the highest resolution, and if they want to see more, then your site should have your contact information so they can get a hold of you. You don't want someone to have to wait for 50 300px X 300px low res images to load in Flash, they'll get bored and leave the site. Give them 15-20, 2048px X 1536px images, instead.

            When choosing images, have normal people (non-photographers) look at your works and have them pick their 20 favorite photos. The results might surprise you, as we all get attached to certain photos that we take and consider them better than what others may think is our best work.

            For the site, use a solid black background, it allows better contrast for the viewer to see your work rather than using a white or other colored background. It makes color pop much, much better. You would be better off using a tiny bit of color elsewhere in the site, like having red buttons, or a colored horizontal slider, etc. But don't go nuts with it.

            Here's some inspiration for you to look over:
            http://www.thephotoargus.com/inspira...r-inspiration/


            Post it here when you have a working site, and have it looked over before you send the link to potential employers.


            And, if you could satisfy my curiosity, what are you going to do about your gear? Using a kit lens doesn't give you enough latitude in the low light conditions that you'll be shooting in.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by fast eddie View Post
              Who the fuck said he was doing something wrong? Shut your mouth and try not to get fatter, Porky Pig.




              If you are going to have an online portfolio, you want to show your very best work, no matter what. Avoid the temptation to put up everything you have. Show them the best at the highest resolution, and if they want to see more, then your site should have your contact information so they can get a hold of you. You don't want someone to have to wait for 50 300px X 300px low res images to load in Flash, they'll get bored and leave the site. Give them 15-20, 2048px X 1536px images, instead.

              When choosing images, have normal people (non-photographers) look at your works and have them pick their 20 favorite photos. The results might surprise you, as we all get attached to certain photos that we take and consider them better than what others may think is our best work.

              For the site, use a solid black background, it allows better contrast for the viewer to see your work rather than using a white or other colored background. It makes color pop much, much better. You would be better off using a tiny bit of color elsewhere in the site, like having red buttons, or a colored horizontal slider, etc. But don't go nuts with it.

              Here's some inspiration for you to look over:
              http://www.thephotoargus.com/inspira...r-inspiration/


              Post it here when you have a working site, and have it looked over before you send the link to potential employers.


              And, if you could satisfy my curiosity, what are you going to do about your gear? Using a kit lens doesn't give you enough latitude in the low light conditions that you'll be shooting in.
              nice one Vince...I'll just pass on the numerous ways to humiliate you and get back on point. You act like you are the shit and that everyone else's shit is shit. I'd rather see meatspins than your posting.

              http://vimeo.com/user658948

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Teh Nap View Post
                nice one Vince...I'll just pass on the numerous ways to humiliate you and get back on point. You act like you are the shit and that everyone else's shit is shit. I'd rather see meatspins than your posting.
                You just read everything I post with a bias against me because we don't get along in person or online.

                Give it your best shot, Seth. Humiliate me I know enough about what you've been up to lately to feel pretty damn good about myself and how my life is going in comparison. I got the help I needed to grow the fuck up when I hurt my family with my selfishness, and I learned a lot about myself in the process.

                Where are you going in life, Seth? Still hanging out in your basement, talentless, all burned out or drunk, playing video games with the same clic of arrogant assholes, working a dead end job (or about to hop to another one) so you can collect electronics that will never get you anywhere?

                Sweet BLU-RAY DVD collection, bro.

                Sweet videogame console collection, bro.

                Sweet flat screen TV, bro.

                Sweet video equipment collection, bro.

                Sweet photo gear that you don't even know how to use in any other mode than Auto, bro.

                Seems like money well spent to me, when you can't even secure the backing of a bank to buy a house All you did was buy toys, like a child would.

                And Strange Colors was such a shitfest, you didn't even fucking try with that video. It's like you want to grow up and be just like Tim and Eric or something. That's nothing to aspire to And way to let IndianaInline die out. The tumble weeds need to be cleaned out of the forums.

                Go ahead and tell me all about my failure of a rollerblading magazine, but keep in mind that because of the hard work that I put into Balance, using it as a portfolio piece has brought in over $45,000 in freelance publication work.

                Choke on that, ass face.

                HERPA

                DERPA,

                DERPITY DERP.
                Last edited by fast eddie; 15.10.2011, 04:36.

                Comment


                  #9
                  You obviously have my life and yours completely figured out...this will be the last time I ever talk/type to you. Have a good one.

                  http://vimeo.com/user658948

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Teh Nap View Post
                    You obviously have my life and yours completely figured out...this will be the last time I ever talk/type to you. Have a good one.
                    Thank God for small miracles, you fucking chowderhead.
                    Last edited by fast eddie; 16.02.2012, 16:30.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X